Friday, August 28, 2009

Adios mi guarderia


How many people have I tearfully said goodbye to this past year? Too many. But that's the tradeoff for the fortune I've had being able to be a part of so many lives, even for just a few months.

I'm leaving San Miguel in a week - back to San Francisco and the reality of a mortgage that needs to be paid. So today I said goodbye to my wonderful colleagues at Casa de los Angeles, the mamas, and the sweet little babies I've helped care for over the past 5 months.

I still can't say enough about Donna Quathamer, the organization she founded, and what they've managed to achieve. This morning, Donna gave me a very kind thank you card. In it was a quote I love...

"I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be compassionate. It is above all, to matter, to stand for something, to have a made a difference."

So here's my pitch - if you'd like to make a small difference, please think about donating to Casa de los Angeles. If you'd prefer a more hands-on experience, check out the idealist.org - a great resource for NGO info and volunteer ops all over the world.

No comments: